All Way-Natural (Director's Notes)


So, an interesting thing happened in the past 2 weeks. I was planning to make a short film, just because I had some ideas in mind. But I had no push to start working on it. And then, Film Riot posted in their channel a One Minute short film competition. One of my ideas where perfect for one minute short. So decided I should try making it as fast as possible. So I made it and you can watch it above. Now, this post is meant to be a Director's Note. So I will start with a background story.

One day, when I was strolling through the city, I saw a guy sitting on the street next to Alnatura. For those who don't know what Alnatura is, It is a special supermarket where products are supposed to be Bio or made in some sort nature friendly way. And the things when combined with the bio sign sells at a higher price than the normal supermarkets. And this guy was sitting near the shop and selling some handmade bouquets for 1 € or something like that. But no one was buying from him. Everyone is busy walking by, or to the Alnatura shop and buying the Natural bio things and totally neglects the possibly homeless man sitting and selling his handpicked and handmade bouquets. This was the inspiration behind this short film.

The film shows 2 sides of the consumerist society. First 30 seconds is colorful bold and bright, just like an advertisement. And by the end of 30 sec, it is transitioned into a much dark and dull reality. The shots in the advertisement and the reality are the same starting with the walking shot, a shot from the back, from the front, picking flowers and showing them to the audience. The advertisement part is graded bright to give a positive feeling and the other half showing the homeless is graded dark to give the induce the dull feeling in the viewer. The aim of this film is to show the truth about consumerism where the companies advertise their product as the best and people blindly believe that it make that products better. They don't necessarily think about the use, the reality or the credibility of those products advertised.

Comments